Tap
Tap
Tap
Tap
The rush of tiny footsteps could be heard from afar, "here... I... Go?! Waaah! Chickidee!" The girl almost fell onto the hen if it wasn't for a last minute save, "Wha-...............?" She was dazed for a second before realizing she had landed on the owner of the frightened chicken.
"You little monkey! How many times have I told you not to climb the wall?!" Andrew pinched her cheeks.
"Erm surwy..."
"What would you do if you injured yourself?" He let go and patted the dirt off of her clothes. "Are you hurt anywhere?"
"My cheeks," she held her hands up to the sides of her face.
"If it's just there, then it's fine."
~~~
Soon it'll be half a year sine I've moved to this town. That person is Andrew Daniels (25), the resident of the house beside mine. He's a nutritionist who goes back and forth to my grade school where he harvests vegetables from the kitchen garden behind it.
~~~
"Sorry for surprising you Chickidee. I'll make your den extra clean today, so forgive me?" The little girl spoke with the hen.
~~~
I volunteered to raise Chickidee so I could come to this garden every morning. I've always... always wanted to meet this person.
~~~
"You're a very hard worker. You do excellent work everyday for the animals. I'm thankful," He picked a tomato from the vine.
"That's because... we made a promise didn't we? In the sixth grade."
~~~
I haven't forgotten.
~~~
"Look, look, Andrew! Oh my gosh! They're so cute going CHEEP CHEEP!" Hillary, fourteen years old, knelt down, pointing at the day old chicks at the stand in the outdoor bazaar.
"My grandfather owned some in the past. We have a shed in the garden."
"What, REALLY? The let's take care of some again!"
"Huh?" Andrew's jaw dropped in awe, "What?"
"The two of us, let's raise them together!"
"You better not cop out and force me to do it alone though."
"Fine, it's a promise!"
~~~
Hillary couldn't keep that promise.
No comments:
Post a Comment